Nuevo León has a territorial extension of 64,655 square kilometers, which represents 3.3% of the geographical extension of the whole country. Thanks to its location, it shares a 14-kilometer border with the United States, with Coahuila and Tamaulipas; to the East, with Tamaulipas; to the South, with Tamaulipas and San Luis Potosí and to the West, with San Luis Potosí, Zacatecas and Coahuila.
Average elevation above sea level:
The state's capital is: Monterrey.
Nuevo León is one of the most attractive states to invest in and do business. The human capital is considered the most productive and prepared workforce in the country. Its dynamism and labor productivity have attracted more than 4,000 foreign companies from different sectors, and its proximity to the United States is an advantage regarding business and cultural strategy.
The state of Nuevo León has 51 municipalities, grouped in a metropolitan area and five regions:
MONTERREY METROPOLITAN AREA / CENTER REGION:
Apodaca, García, San Pedro Garza García, Gral. Escobedo, Guadalupe, Juárez, Monterrey, San Nicolás de los Garza y Santa Catarina, Cadereyta Jiménez, Salinas Victoria, Santiago
Anáhuac, Agualeguas, Bustamante, Cerralvo, China, Dr. Coss, Dr. González, Gral. Bravo, Gral. Treviño, Los Herreras, Lampazos de Naranjo, Los Ramones, Los Aldama, Melchor Ocampo, Mina, Parás, Sabinas Hidalgo, Vallecillo, Villaldama
Nuevo León has a population of 5,129,505 inhabitants, 49.6% are men, and 50.4% are women. Most of the population (94.9%) lives in urban areas, the rest, 5.1%, in rural areas.
The economically active population reaches 2,713,337.1 people; 588,708 work in the industry. The companies that generate more employment in the state are arca continental, femsa, alfa, frisa, quimmco, metalsa, ternium, cemex, and kia motors.
Total population (male and female)
Ranks 8th place in terms of the national population
Economically Active Population (EAP)
Projected population by 2030
Arca Continental, Femsa, Alfa, Frisa, Quimmco, Metalsa, Ternium, Cemex, Kia Motors
Jobs generated by the assembling industry. (Maquiladora)
Monterrey has a semi-arid climate. It is one of the warmest major cities in Mexico. Summers are generally hot, spring and fall are temperate, and winters are mild, rarely with below-freezing temperatures. The average high in August is 35 °C (95 °F), and the average low is 23 °C (73 °F). The average January high is 21 °C (70 °F), and the average low in January is 8 °C (46 °F). Rainfall is scarce in winter but more frequent during May through September.
Monterrey frequently experiences extreme climate changes; for example, it sometimes reaches 30 °C (86 °F) in January and February, the coldest months. The most extreme weather changes in summer occur with rainfall, which can significantly reduce temperatures. In winter, the temporary absence of the northern winds leads to abnormally high temperatures. Seasons are not well defined; the warm season may start in February and may last until September.
Temperature range per season in Fahrenheit and Centigrade
• Summer average temperature: 34°C (94°F)
• Winter average temperature: 20°C (69°F)
• Average temperatures vary by 58ºF (14° C)
Maximum and minimum temperature
• Recorded in April, maximum temperature: 118.4°F (48°C)
• Recorded in January, minimum temperature: 32.0°F (0°C)
Type Of Soil
The Sierra Madre Oriental mountain range covers 50.9% of the territory, The Great Plains of North America cover 34.6%, and the Northern Gulf Coastal Plain encompasses 14.5% of the state.
Soils that predominate: Xerosols, luric, calcic and haplic.